Health Insurance Buyer's Guide
Step Five - Apply for Coverage
Once you've submitted your application it may take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks before the insurance company makes a decision. If you submit your application through eHealthInsurance, we will inform you of the insurance company's decision as soon as possible. You may receive any one of the following responses:
"You're approved!"Most of the people who apply for Individual and Family health insurance through eHealthInsurance are approved2. Once approved, your health insurance coverage will begin on the "effective date" confirmed by the insurance company.
"You're approved, with conditions."The insurance company may offer you coverage but limit benefits for specific conditions based on your medical history.
"More information is required."In some cases, the health insurance company will ask for more information regarding your application, and may request medical records from your doctor before coming to a final decision.
If your application is denied, please talk with one of our licensed agents by phone. There may be reason to appeal the decision or try again with a different insurance company. If not, we can help put you in touch with government-sponsored options available in your state.
We hope this guide has provided you with valuable information and helped prepare you to make an informed health insurance shopping decision. Every person's needs are different, however, so if you need additional information, there is a wealth of resources available to help you find the right solution.
For more information about individual and family health insurance plans, please contact:
- A licensed eHealthInsurance agent at 1-866-757-7284
- Or go online to www.ehealthinsurance.com to review FAQs, get free quotes, compare plans, and apply online
If you are unemployed and want to know more about your COBRA insurance alternatives, eHealthInsurance can help:
- Call our toll-free COBRA Alternatives Hotline at 888-407-1127, open from 6am to 5pm Pacific Time, Monday through Friday
- Visit the eHealthInsurance Media Center at news.ehealthinsurance.com and click on the "Video" link to find video presentations describing COBRA alternatives and the expiring federal COBRA subsidy
If you are unable to qualify for or afford individual health insurance, there may be public programs available. For information about public programs please contact:
- The Foundation for Health Coverage Education (FHCE) at 800-234-1317
- Or go to their web site is www.coverageforall.org
- Or check your local state insurance commission's website
- A broader view of your options - and knowing what's really available can help you save money
- A speedier submission and review process, thanks to our industry-leading technology
- An advocate with the insurance company to help you resolve billing or claim disputes in the future
- All our services and assistance provided at NO EXTRA COST to you