BlueCard® Worldwide - When Traveling Outside of the U.S.
BlueCard Worldwide® provides Blue Cross and Blue Shield members with access to a network of traditional inpatient, outpatient and professional healthcare providers around the world. The program includes a range of medical assistance and claim support services for members traveling or living in countries outside their Home Plan service area.
When You Need Healthcare Outside The U.S.
Claims Filing and Payment Information
- Always carry your Blue Cross and Blue Shield identification card.
- Check with your Blue Cross and Blue Shield company before leaving the U.S. because your health care benefits may be different outside the U.S.
- If you need emergency medical care, go to the nearest hospital. Call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center at 1.800.810.BLUE (2583) or call collect at 1.804.673.1177 if you're admitted.
- If you need non-emergency inpatient medical care, you must call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center. The Service Center will facilitate hospitalization at a BlueCard Worldwide hospital or make an appointment with a doctor. It is important that you call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center in order to obtain cash-less access for inpatient care except for your usual out-of-pocket expenses (e.g., deductible, coinsurance). The Service Center is staffed with multilingual representatives and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Call your local BCBS company for pre-certification or prior authorization, if necessary. Refer to the phone number on the back of your card.
- For inpatient care at a BlueCard Worldwide® hospital that was arranged through the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center, 1.800.810.BLUE (2583), you only pay the provider the usual out-of-pocket expenses (non-covered services, deductible, co-payment and co-insurance). The provider files the claim for you.
- For all outpatient and professional medical care, you pay the provider and submit a claim. You may also have to pay the hospital (and submit a claim) for inpatient care obtained from a non-BlueCard Worldwide® hospital or when inpatient care was not arranged through the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center.
- To submit a claim, you complete an International Claim Form and send it to the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center. The claim form must be completed fully otherwise it will be returned to you and payment will be delayed