A Dental Indemnity plan is commonly known as a fee-for-service or traditional plan. If you select an Indemnity plan you'll likely have the freedom to visit any dentist you wish. You typically will not be required to obtain referrals; however, some plans may require you to obtain preauthorization for certain procedures. Most Dental Indemnity plans require you to pay a deductible. After you have paid your deductible, Indemnity policies typically pay a percentage of "usual, customary and reasonable (UCR) or usual and customary (U&C) rates" for covered services. For instance, the insurance company may pay 80% and you may be required to cover the remaining 20% of the UCR or U&C.