Medicare in Kansas
Find affordable Medicare plans in Kansas
According to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), a total of 516,756 Kansas residents received Medicare coverage in 2018. This number includes beneficiaries enrolled in the federally administered Original Medicare program, as well as those with Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage) or Part D (prescription drug benefit).
Whether you’re new to Medicare or interested in learning more about the health-care program, there are many available resources and programs for Kansas Medicare beneficiaries.
Medicare resources in Kansas
Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services: The Kansas government agency for senior citizens is the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS). The goal of KDADS is to help aging and disabled individuals live independently, safely, and with dignity. Through the services they offer, elderly individuals and those with disabilities can make better health-care choices that empower their lives. Examples of the services and programs offered by KDADS include:
- Aging and Disability Resource Center
- Long-term care resources
- Caregiver respite services
- Home and community-based support services
- Mental health services
- Addiction and prevention services
- Veterans’ services
Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas (SHICK): The Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas (SHICK) is a free program that provides unbiased counseling and information to Kansas Medicare beneficiaries. Many Kansas beneficiaries have questions regarding their Medicare coverage, and SHICK program’s trained community volunteers offer one-on-one counseling and information on Medicare prescription drug coverage, Medicare Supplement insurance, long-term care options, and more.
KanCare: KanCare is Kansas’ Medicaid program for eligible individuals with limited income, including Medicare beneficiaries. Kansas residents who qualify for both Medicare and Medicaid are known as “dual eligibles” and may be eligible for financial assistance with Medicare premiums, copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles. KanCare may cover certain benefits not included under the Medicare program, such as certain preventive dental services or vision care. To learn more about eligibility and how to apply for assistance, contact KanCare for more information.
Medicare statistical trends in Kansas
Original Medicare continues to be the prevalent choice for Kansas beneficiaries. Learn about recent Medicare trends in Kansas:
- In 2018, Original Medicare continues to outnumber Medicare Advantage enrollment in Kansas, with 427,200 beneficiaries enrolled in the federal program, compared with 89,556 enrolled in a Medicare Advantage and other health plans.
- In 2018, most Kansas beneficiaries with Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage get their benefits through a stand-alone Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (80%) versus a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan (20%). This trend aligns with the fact that the majority of Kansas beneficiaries are enrolled in Original Medicare.
- In 2018, a majority of Kansas residents with Medicare Part D (75%) had access to prescription drug coverage with a lower premium than what they paid in 2017.
- All Kansas Medicare beneficiaries had access to a Medicare Advantage plan in 2018.
Would you like more information on Medicare coverage in Kansas? Just enter your zip code into the tool on this page to find Medicare plan options in your Kansas service area.
Statistical data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, “Medicare Enrollment Dashboard.”2018 Part D Landscape State-by-State Fact Sheet
Data in this article was checked when the article was written and might not be updated as newer data becomes available.
This website and its contents are for informational purposes only. Nothing on the website should ever be used as a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always consult with your medical provider regarding diagnosis or treatment for a health condition, including decisions about the correct medication for your condition, as well as prior to undertaking any specific exercise or dietary routine.
Call to speak with a licensed
insurance agent now.
1- TTY users 711