Medicare in Wyoming
Find affordable Medicare plans in Wyoming
Did you know that over 103,000 people in Wyoming are enrolled in Medicare as of January 2018? If you are a Medicare beneficiary, you may be able to choose from a variety of types of Medicare coverage in Wyoming.
Original Medicare is the government health insurance program offered to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents (having lived in the U.S. for at least five years in a row) aged 65 and older. It’s possible in some cases to receive Medicare benefits before age 65. Original Medicare includes Part A and Part B.
- Part A generally covers inpatient hospital care, skilled nursing facility care, and hospice care, and limited home health care in some cases.
- Part B may cover items and services such as (but not limited to): doctor visits, outpatient surgeries, outpatient mental health care, lab tests, x-rays, preventive medical services, and durable medical equipment such as wheelchairs.
Medicare Supplement (Medigap) insurance plans are offered by private insurance companies and can help you pay your out-of-pocket costs for services covered under Original Medicare. Different Medigap insurance plans pay for different amounts of those costs, such as copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles.
A Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) can help cover your prescription drug costs. Designed to work alongside your Original Medicare coverage, stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans are available from private insurance companies approved by Medicare. According to a Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) survey, 23 Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans are available in Wyoming in 2018, although plan availability may vary from one area to another within the state. Please note that not every plan covers every medication, so you may want to check the plan’s formulary (list of covered drugs) before signing up for a plan. A plan’s formulary may change at any time. You will receive notice from your plan when necessary.
Medicare Advantage plans are offered by private insurance companies that contract with Medicare to deliver Medicare Part A and Part B benefits (except hospice care, which Part A continues to cover). Medicare Advantage plans may protect you from unlimited medical expenses – they limit your annual out-of-pocket spending for services covered under Medicare Part A and Part B. Once you reach that spending limit, the plan covers all your Medicare-approved services for the rest of that calendar year.
Many Medicare Advantage plans also include extra benefits such as routine dental and vision care. Plans may also include prescription drug coverage; these are called Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plans, so they deliver your Medicare medical and prescription drug benefits through a single plan.
You may be eligible to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan in Wyoming. To enroll, you must have Medicare Part A and Part B, live within the plan’s service area, and (usually) not have end-stage renal disease.
You’ll still need to pay your Medicare Part B premium, and you might pay an additional premium directly to your Medicare Advantage plan. Three Medicare Advantage plans are available in Wyoming in 2018, reports the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
To identify the plans that are available where you live, enter your zip code in the plan finder on this page.
Wyoming resources for Medicare beneficiaries
There are a number of resources designed to help Wyoming Medicare beneficiaries with Medicare-related issues and concerns.
- Wyoming Department of Health includes the Aging Division, which promotes health, safety and independent choices for Wyoming’s older adults through education.
- Wyoming Department of Insurance provides information on Medicare Supplement insurance plans, Medicare, Medicaid and long-term insurance.
- Wyoming State Health Insurance Information Program (WSHIIP) helps seniors and others on Medicare understand their rights. Trained counselors promote consumer understanding of Medicare, Medicaid, Medicare supplement and long-term care insurance.
Medicare statistical trends in Wyoming
Check out these facts from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) about Medicare coverage in Wyoming in 2018.
- The number of people living in Wyoming who have Medicare coverage continues to grow. 103,943 individuals have Medicare as of January 2018 compared to 85,766 people in 2012.
- 96% of Medicare beneficiaries in Wyoming have Original Medicare for their coverage, as of January 2018.
- Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage gains membership annually. 66,423 people were enrolled in stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans or Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plans as of January 2018, compared to 47,933 in 2012. Stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans provide coverage for 96% of Wyoming beneficiaries who have Medicare prescription drug coverage (as of January 2018).
- According to a recent CMS report, 78% of people with Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage have access to a plan with a lower premium than what they paid in 2017. In 2018, the lowest monthly premium for a Prescription Drug Plan is $20.40.
Statistical data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, “2018 MA Part D Landscape State-by-State Fact Sheet,”and “Medicare Enrollment Dashboard,“
Data in this article was checked when the article was written and might not be updated as newer data becomes available.
This website and its contents are for informational purposes only. Nothing on the website should ever be used as a substitute for professional medical advice. You should always consult with your medical provider regarding diagnosis or treatment for a health condition, including decisions about the correct medication for your condition, as well as prior to undertaking any specific exercise or dietary routine.
The product and service descriptions, if any, provided on these eHealthInsurance.com Web pages are not intended to constitute offers to sell or solicitations in connection with any product or service. All products are not available in all areas and are subject to applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
This information is not a complete description of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments, and restrictions may apply. Benefits, premiums and/or copayments/co-insurance may change on January 1 of each year.
Call to speak with a licensed
insurance agent now.
1- TTY users 711