Are you a Texas resident? If so,
read about Medicare in Texas here.

How Do I Report a Change of Name or Address to Medicare?

Find affordable Medicare plans

Get Started

When you sign up for Medicare, you generally must have a U.S. mailing address on file so that you can receive Medicare communications. When you move, you may need to update this address. You can update your Medicare address as soon as you know your new address and effective date.

Why do I need to report my Medicare address change?

Update your Medicare Address change so that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services can:

  • Send you your Medicare card, or a replacement Medicare card if you lose yours
  • Send you quarterly Medicare Summary Notices
  • Mail you your annual “Medicare and You” handbook
  • Send you other important information

What is the quickest way up to update my Medicare change of address?

The fastest way to do a Medicare address change is online. Your Medicare enrollment information, including address, is generally handled by the Social Security Administration. You can quickly complete a Medicare address change by logging into the Social Security website here. If you don’t have an account, you can create one with a valid email address and Social Security number. If you do already have an account, you can sign in using a username and password and make Medicare address changes under the “my profile” portion of the site.

How else can I update my Medicare change of address?

If you don’t have internet access or would prefer to not go online, you can complete a Medicare address change over the phone by calling the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. in all time zones.

You can also can go in person to your local Social Security office to make a Medicare address change. Find a Social Security office near you here.

What if I am moving to an assisted living facility or nursing home?

If you are moving to a facility, check that they can handle your mail before you make your Medicare address change to the address of the facility. You also can consider making your address the address of a trusted friend or family member who will pass on your Medicare communications.

What if I get benefits from the Railroad Retirement Board?

If you are getting benefits from the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB), you can make Medicare address changes directly with the RRB. You can get more information about how to change your address online by visiting the agency website at, or by calling the RRB at 1-877-772-5772 TTY users call 1-312-751-4701 Monday through Friday, 9AM to 3:30PM in all time zones.

Need help?

Call to speak with a licensed
insurance agent now.

Touch to Call

1- TTY users 711

Or, enter your zip code to shop online

Enter your zip code to shop online

Browse Plans
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!