eHealth surveyed more than 6,500 health insurance shoppers in 2015 and identified five main types of Obamacare customer.
What one best describes you?
The Happy Camper
- Happy Campers tend to be really healthy
- They probably didn’t go the doctor at all last year
- They don’t take prescription drugs
- They want peace of mind from their coverage and protection in case of emergencies
- Happy campers don’t think much about coverage, but will gladly consider a lower priced plan
The Proactive Patient
- Proactive Patients tend to be health-conscious individuals
- They only use their coverage for checkups and preventive care
- They typically don’t take any prescription drugs
- Proactive Patients want to get some value out of their health insurance coverage
The Rx User
- Rx Users are on a regular drug regimen, sometimes for a chronic condition
- They may see the doctor occasionally for non-preventive care
- Rx Users tend to worry about their out-of-pocket costs
- They often focus on deductibles and copays when picking a plan
The Heavy Utilizer
- Heavy Utilizers see the doctor frequently, often for serious medical conditions
- They tend to take prescription drugs as well
- They really pay attention to details like doctor networks and out-of-network coverage
- Heavy Utilizers may be willing to pay higher premiums in exchange for lower deductibles and copays
The Last-Minute Shopper
- Last-Minute Shoppers wait until the last 36 hours of enrollment to pick a plan
- They tend to focus on affordable premiums when picking out a plan
- As a result, they’re often dissatisfied with out-of-pocket costs like deductibles and copays
- Last-Minute Shoppers from our survey told us that they plan to shop earlier this year
The nationwide open enrollment period for 2016 health insurance coverage is scheduled to end on January 31, 2016. If you haven’t picked a new plan for 2016, you’re running out of time.
To learn more about how America uses Obamacare and your coverage options for 2016, visit howdoesamericauseobamacare.com.