Best Health Insurance Companies
When shopping on eHealth, you have the advantage of variety. Instead of searching health insurance companies one by one, and then comparing plans available from the company you choose, you get to compare free quotes from different health insurance companies and plans all in one place. In addition to having access to the largest private online Marketplace for health insurance, you can rest assured that you’re seeing plans from the best health insurance companies out there.
Health care needs are incredibly specific to individuals, families, and small businesses, so it’s up to you what the “best” health insurance company is. Keep reading to learn about some of the top health insurance companies offered at eHealth, and visit our website where you can easily compare quotes on plans from some of the best health insurance companies in the health care industry.
Top Health Insurance Companies offered at eHealth:
- United HealthCare (UHC) was founded in 1977, and currently serves all 50 U.S. States
- According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)’s most recent annual report, UHC’s market share of healthcare is 12.75%, making UHC the top health insurance company in terms of market share.
- “Highest overall experience” in Arizona according to J.D. Power ranking, and ranked “among the best” health insurance companies in Texas
- Named on Fortune’s “World’s Most Admired Companies” list, Aetna provides covered to about 22.1 million people
- If age and experience is what you’re looking for, then consider Aetna the best health insurance company in that sense—they’ve been around since 1853
- Aetna’s market share according to NAIC’s report: 5.54%
- Ranked as “better than most” for J.D. Power Member Satisfaction Index Ratings in Florida
- Founded in 1945 in Oakland California, Kaiser Permanente has grown to become the largest managed care organization in the U.S.
- Kaiser’s market share according to NAIC’s report: 7.37%
- According to J.D. Power rankings, Kaiser ranks the highest in six regions: Maryland, South Atlantic, California, Virginia, Northwest and Colorado
- With 40 million health plan members, Anthem is the largest for-profit managed health care company within the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, placing it among what some might consider the best health insurance companies
- Anthem’s market share according to NAIC’s report: 6.07%
- Anthem BlueCross BlueShield (Blue Card) in Massachusetts was ranked “among the best” for J.D. Power Member Satisfaction Index Rankings
- In the 1960’s Humana was a small nursing home company, but twenty years later, broke into the health insurance business. Humana has been ranked #1 in Fortune’s “Social Responsibility” category.
- Humana’s market share according to NAIC’s report: 5.46%
- Ranked “better than most” in Florida for J.D. Power’s Member Satisfaction Index Rankings
- Cigna was founded officially in 1982, but traces their roots back 200 years with the Insurance Company of North America (INA)
- Cigna’s market share according to NAIC’s report: 2.49%
- Ranked “among the best” in Florida for J.D. Power’s Member Satisfaction Index Rankings
Blue Cross Blue Shield:
- Setting it apart from the other top health insurance companies on this list, Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is actually comprised of 36 independent and locally operated health insurance companies
- If you put your trust in volume, then you may consider BCBS to be among the best health insurance companies, with 106 million plan members insured under this umbrella company
- BCBS’s market share according to NAIC’s report: 1.69% (This share is representative of BCBS in California only, which holds the most significant share compared to BCBS in all other states) The sum of Blue Cross Blue Shield and all of it’s subsidiaries actually holds a much larger amount of the market share
- Ranked “among the best” for J.D. Power Member Satisfaction Index Rankings in Massachusetts.
- Wellcare was founded in 1985 and specializes in government-sponsored health care products like Medicaid, Medicare Advantage, and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans
- If you’re in the market for government-sponsored health care, then you’ll have a good chance finding a plan with quality care from one of Wellcare’s 571 thousand contracted healthcare providers
- Wellcare’s market share according to NAIC’s report: 1.28%
- Highmark’s offers Blue Cross Blue Shield-branded health plans in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and West Virginia
- If dental insurance plays a big role for you in deciding what the best health insurance company is, then you’ll be happy to know that Highmark health insurance offers dental coverage through Concordia Dental in all 50 U.S. States
- Highmark’s market share according to NAIC’s report: 1.54%
- Highmark Blue Cross BlueShield of Delaware was ranked highest according to J.D. Power ranking
- Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC) is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, and provides coverage to over 15 million customers
- HCSC’s market share according to NAIC’s report: 3.28%
- “Highest overall experience” J.D. Power rating for Illinois and “highest customer service” rating in Florida.
Now that you know a few things about some of the “best” health insurance companies, you can start comparing products and getting free quotes for plans in your area. You’ll be able to search plans from these top health insurance companies plus others, and get free quotes from eHealth. You can always count on eHealth to offer plans from the top health insurance companies, and provide all the information and options that you’ll need to pick a health insurance plan that works for you, your family, or your small business. Visit eHealth today to start looking at plans from some of the best health insurance companies in the industry.