Individual and Family
Finding Affordable Health Insurance in Virginia Isn’t Impossible
Published on May 29, 2018
The Virginia Health Care Foundation found that over 10% of non-elderly residents of the state lacked health insurance. Just about three-quarters of these uninsured Virginians lived in families with at least one full-time worker. Apparently, even some employed people have trouble finding affordable health insurance in Virginia.
With an unstable individual health insurance market and endlessly rising prices, it’s no surprise that the numbers show so many people having to get by without health insurance. At eHealth, we seek to offer coverage to everyone, no matter what their budget is. If major medical, also known as ACA (Affordable care Act) plans are out of your budget, it doesn’t mean you have to go without health insurance.
Options for affordable health insurance in Virginia
People who have struggled to find affordable health insurance in Virginia might consider a few different options:
- Individual major medical insurance: For some, it works out that major medical coverage is actually pretty affordable. By shopping in the right places, comparing plans, and making sure to take advantage of any subsidies you qualify for, you might be able to get coverage that’s affordable. People with modest incomes may qualify for premium tax credits for individual health insurance plans that qualify under the Affordable Care Act, or ACA. These tax credits can help reduce the amount paid for premiums.
- Virginia short term health insurance plans: Very often, short term health insurance can help people fill in gaps in coverage for terms that last no more than three months at a time. Some reasons to choose short term health insurance could include short-term unemployment or waiting for the activation data for either group benefits or an Obamacare plan.
- Medical insurance packages: A medical insurance package consists of a bundle of different kinds of insurance that can help with out-of-pocket costs for people who struggle to find affordable health insurance in Virginia. Like short-term health plans, these packages won’t satisfy ACA requirements, but they also usually cost considerably less.
Why consider alternative plans?
Although alternative plans do not always cover as much as ACA-compliant coverage, they have plenty of benefits. Additionally, some coverage is better than none at all. If you cannot afford other options on the health insurance market, short term is a great option to protect yourself from financial ruin in the case of a serious medical emergency. Some things to keep in mind about short term health insurance:
- Be aware that short term health insurance includes limited coverage. It won’t cover everything that a major medical health insurance plan typically covers, and it doesn’t meet Affordable Care Act standards. But it can provide coverage if you have a medical emergency.
- Short term insurance plans coverage ends after 90 days.
- If you have a pre-existing health condition, the plan might not cover it.
At the same time, these short-term health plans can offer some advantages, according to an eHealth survey:
- Premiums for short term health insurance averaged less than one-third of total premiums for Obamacare individual health insurance.
- While premiums for ACA plans have risen in the last few years, the cost of short term plans has stayed about the same.
- The demand for short term health insurance has increased in the last year, and applications for short term plans on eHealth exceeded those for ACA plans.
Some people may decide to choose short term health insurance simply because they have missed the annual ACA Open Enrollment deadline in the fall and cannot quality for a special enrollment period. For instance, Virginians may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period because of financial hardships or changes in family circumstances. If not though, people who need quick and affordable health insurance in Virginia may turn to short term health insurance as a fast way to get an insurance card, access to medical providers, and financial protection.
Similarly, medical insurance packages might offer a solution for affordable health insurance in Virginia for people who are between group medical plans, can’t afford local ACA premiums, or have simply missed the enrollment deadline.
Compare affordable health insurance in Virginia
Don’t assume that you can’t find affordable Virginia health plans until you compare all of your options. At eHealth, you can get quick quotes for individual health insurance, short-term health plans, and medical insurance packages within seconds on your computer or mobile phone.