2018 Update: Average Major Medical Premiums for the 2018 Obamacare nationwide open enrollment period (according to eHealth’s Price Index report):
– $440 per month for individual coverage
– $1,168 per month for family coverage
A major medical health insurance plan is a type of medical insurance plan that meets all of the minimum essential benefit standards of the Affordable Care Act (ACA or “Obamacare”),while providing benefits for a broad range of inpatient and outpatient health-care services.
VIDEO: What types of insurance can you buy?
It’s important for you to understand that not all major medical health insurance plans can be purchased with a premium tax credit, but enrollment in a major medical health insurance plan does protect you from tax penalties for being uninsured under Obamacare.
VIDEO: What do I get when I buy a major medical health insurance plan?
Cost of major medical insurance plans
- $321 per month for individual coverage
- $833 per month for family coverage
- $4,358 per year for individual coverage
- $7,983 per year for family coverage
*Data according to the latest research from eHealth’s Price Index, based on eHealth shoppers not utilizing government subsidies who selected plans at eHealth during the 2016 open enrollment period.
To help find the right health plan for you, enter your zip code where requested on this page to see a quote.
- Qualified Health Plans
- Obamacare 101: How Obamacare Health Insurance Works
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) Plans