Affordable Care Act
When to Sign Up for Obamacare
Published on October 08, 2014
For 2019, Open Enrollment is scheduled to run from November 1, 2018 through December 15, 2018.
One of the major benefits of the Affordable Care Act (ACA or “Obamacare”) is that no one can be turned down for health insurance based on their personal medical history.
However, in order to obtain health insurance, you still need to sign up for Obamacare during a specific time termed Open Enrollment Period (OEP).
If you’ve experienced a qualifying life event (childbirth, marriage, or loss of health coverage, for example) you may be allowed to sign up for Obamacare during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).
Obamacare Special Enrollment Period
If you’ve experienced a qualifying life event, you may be able to sign up for Obamacare during a Special Enrollment Period. A qualifying life event triggers a 60-day time frame that allows you to apply for a major medical health insurance plan and ensure that your application is approved.
Qualifying life events include the following life-changing events:
- Loss of essential health coverage: If you or a dependent lose health coverage that meets government standards.
- Change of family structure: If you get married, divorced, have or adopt a child, or have a death in the family.
- Change of citizenship status: If you become a U.S. citizen or national.
- Government error: If you lose, change, or enroll in coverage because of an error committed by an officer, employee, or agent of the Exchange or the Department of Health and Human Services as determined by the Exchange.
- Change in subsidy eligibility: If you become eligible or lose eligibility for subsidies (advance payments of the premium tax credit or cost-sharing reductions).
- Move to a new coverage area: If you permanently move to a new area.
To help find the right health plan for you, enter your zip code where requested on this page to see a quote.
- Obamacare 101: How Obamacare Health Insurance Works
- Types of Health Insurance: What to Buy under Obamacare
- Qualified Health Plans
- Qualifying Life Events Under Obamacare
- Health Insurance Coverage Terms and Definitions